Climate-KIC Spain is the representation of the European initiative Climate-KIC in Spain
Climate-KIC Spain is the Spanish Centre of Climate Change for Innovation, as part of the European Initiative Climate-KIC, one of the Knowledge Innovation Communities launched by the European Institute of Innovation and Technology (EIT).
Climate-KIC was created in 2010 and has over 200 partners including universities, research centres, enterprises and public bodies integrated in a network of offices placed in Germany, France, United Kingdom, Italy, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Denmark, Poland, Belgium, Hungary, Finland and Spain. Our Spanish headquarters are located in Valencia.
We promote a new model of sustainable economy based on competitiveness, and economic growth and creation of green employment, to promote a sustainable economy within the innovation domain and to face the challenge of global warming.
Climate-KIC comprises four theme areas of work: urban transitions, sustainable production systems, sustainable land use, and decision metrics and finance. Our effort is focused on innovation, entrepreneurship and training through different programmes of talented head-hunting, high education and boosting of new ideas to the market.
Climate-KIC was created the 1st February, at the same time as this new strategy was launched, to take over national coordination of programmes as well as the relationships between partners and with Europe. Our scope has become broader, from regional to national, and has been integrated into a supranational Mediterranean area along with Italy, and coordinated by France. This Mediterranean area includes other Mediterranean countries sharing common challenges from geography, culture and climate.
Climate-KIC Spain’s main objectives are to
- Coordinate and integrate Climate-KIC innovation, education, entrepreneurship and outreach activities in Spain.
- Facilitate the development of a low carbon economy through providing experts supporting, coaching and mentoring to participants involved in Climate-KIC activities, e.g. companies, pioneers, students and alumni, based on a multi-actor approach, contributions drawing on an expertise of the Spanish partnership.
- Support the research and its implementation concerning climate change
- Provide dedicated advice and support to policy decision-makers and organisations on particular issues.
- Develop a clear strategical dimension by drawing on Climate-KIC practice to develop reports on lessons learned and effective practice.
- Energize and strengthen the international relations for the cooperation in the fight against climate change.
- Contribute to the civil society’s awareness and consciousness-raising.
- Encourage the education for new low carbon innovation abilities’ development.